Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dead of Night: A Zombie Novel


A prison doctor injects a condemned serial killer with a formula designed to keep his consciousness awake while his body rots in the grave.  But all drugs have unforeseen side-effects.  Before he could be buried, the killer wakes up.  Hungry.  Infected.  Contagious.  This is the way the world ends.  Not with a bang…but a bite.

I received this book through the first reads program on goodreads before actual publication.

This book was Hannibal Lecter meets Zombie Apocalypse, well maybe not Hannibal Lecter but creepy serial killer. This story takes place in a small Pennsylvania town (which kind of creeps me out, I live in PA) and starts when the body of a serial killer wakes up and eats the mortician. Cool, huh?

Our main character is a cop/ army veteran with some issues, but I loved her all the same. Yep our number one zombie killer is a woman, a kick-ass woman. She can shot and argue with the best of them and is in no way the damsel in distress. But our story starts when she wakes up late for work and her and her partner's first call of the day is to the local mortuary....

At parts of this book I was laughing and at others about to cry. I loved and yet found it corny that our serial killers mother's name is Clarice. I wanted to cry at the end at the decisions they where forced to make. I found it odd that none of this people had never seen how to kill a zombie before and it took them forever to figure out how. Random fact the first mention of zombies in this pre-released edition is on page 155.

This book had a few issues that I hope they catch before publication, like the Hannibal Lecter reference at the beginning of the book was worded oddly. At the end of this book I was left wondering is this really the end or is there going to be a sequel? But over all I really enjoyed this book and will be seeking out more zombie books. This book is to be published October 25th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment